As discussed in Alberta Education’s document on the Principal Quality Standard, a principal that effectively manages school operations and resources will “ensure a safe and caring, and effective learning environment.” (Click for posts on “Managing School Operations and Resources“)
I feel I have effectively met this criteria by doing the following:
- Worked with our school to develop the Forest Green School portfolio project to give students an opportunity to use technology in a safe and meaningful way.
- Administer division programs such as the Early Years Alternative Program (EYALT) as well as Balanced Literacy. These are programs that are used by all of Parkland School Division, yet are run from Forest Green School.
- Effectively used our school budget to ensure a safe environment, while also being able to effectively support learning initiatives within our school.
- Have redesigned the front-hallway as well as other areas to make the focus more student-oriented. This has received several compliments for the bold pictures and visuals that display Forest Green students.
- Created a WordPress Multi-User site for safe and effective portfolio projects, still utilizing Web 2.0 technologies.
- Effectively administer Google Apps for Education which gives all students access to their own email and Google Apps. All of these tools that we are using within Forest Green School are open-source, thus free. This gives us the opportunity to allocate money to other areas of the school.
- Developed a staff professional development program that uses the expertise of our entire school community, while also being able to effectively redirect budget allocations to other areas in our school.
- Implementing the first 1-1 computer program in Parkland School Division for grade 5-6 students at Forest Green School. All students will have their own laptop with wireless access.
- Oversee the effective delivery of our “Hour Zero” program for three school sites.