I had a great opportunity to speak on the Bam Radio Network to discuss how we can empower those that we work with. This was a great opportunity for myself to not only share my views, but it was a fantastic opportunity to learn from others. Check out the show:
Here are some of the talking points that were discussed:
- Although we often empower many, we diminish several by making wrong assumptions about their strengths and passions.
- We need to challenge people to do their best in practice, yet allowing them ownership over the process.
- Focus on strengths first to empower those that work with you.
- It is important that we continue to get our staff in on conversations on what works with students. This work is never personal but about the idea and implementation of these practices.
- Best ideas are the only ones that are needed.
- None of this works unless you build a culture of trust. Everything depends on that.
Some questions that I have after listening to this:
Do schools encourage debate amongst staff? How does your staff come to the “best ideas”? I would love your thoughts.